Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Vulnerability

So my sister is one of my sources of wisdom, pop culture, headaches and inspiration.
That little bouncing baby girl is so deep, she doesn't even realize it, 
but she looks up to me either way, and I do my best to live a life that's worth emulating.

Anyways, so it's valentine's day. :)
I've always been a fan even if I've never actually celebrated it as part of a couple.
I'm a sucker for holidays, and what they mean,
and what better holiday than one celebrating love. :)

I've always been externally allergic to love-love and sappy romantic love (atleast outward) haha
but I do believe in love.
Not just in romantic love ofcourse, but that deeper love story thats more than the feelings, 
the flowers, the cheesy stuff (which is ALSO just as important)
but i adore love stories that deals with the becoming. <3

I'm afraid im going to stop making sense soon, 
so let me turn you over to someone who knows what she's talking about instead,
this 20-min. TED talk, encapsulates my realizations since christmas,
its scary.

This is everything i wish i could say better and shorter,
but since i can't, I'll keep trying to live it out,
and in the mean time, listen to what she has to say.
*I included some highlights from her transcript*

Here's to working on being comfortable with our vulnerabilities.
Happy Valentines!

XOXO,
Joanie


...I ran into this unnamed thing that absolutely unraveled connection in a way that I didn't understand or had never seen. And it turned out to be shame. And shame is really easily understood as the fear of disconnection: Is there something about me that, if other people know it or see it, that I won't be worthy of connection? The things I can tell you about it: it's universal; we all have it. The only people who don't experience shame have no capacity for human empathy or connection. No one wants to talk about it, and the less you talk about it the more you have it. What underpinned this shame, this "I'm not good enough,"... The thing that underpinned this was excruciating vulnerability, this idea of, in order for connection to happen, we have to allow ourselves to be seen, really seen.
What do these people have in common? These are whole-hearted people, living from this deep sense of worthiness. What they had in common was a sense of courage. And I want to separate courage and bravery for you for a minute. Courage, the original definition of courage, when it first came into the English language -- it's from the Latin word cor, meaning heart -- and the original definition was to tell the story of who you are with your whole heart. And so these folks had, very simply, had the courage to be imperfect. They had the compassion to be kind to themselves first and then to others, because, as it turns out, we can't practice compassion with other people if we can't treat ourselves kindly. And the last was they had connection, and -- this was the hard part -- as a result of authenticity, they were willing to let go of who they thought they should be in order to be who they were, which you have to absolutely do that for connection.
And we perfect, most dangerously, our children. Let me tell you what we think about children. They're hardwired for struggle when they get here. And when you hold those perfect little babies in your hand, our job is not to say, "Look at her, she's perfect. My job is just to keep her perfect -- make sure she makes the tennis team by fifth grade and Yale by seventh grade." That's not our job. Our job is to look and say, "You know what? You're imperfect, and you're wired for struggle, but you are worthy of love and belonging." That's our job. Show me a generation of kids raised like that, and we'll end the problems I think that we see today. We pretend that what we do doesn't have an effect on people. We do that in our personal lives. We do that corporate -- whether it's a bailout, an oil spill, a recall -- we pretend like what we're doing doesn't have a huge impact on other people. I would say to companies, this is not our first rodeo, people. We just need you to be authentic and real and say, "We're sorry. We'll fix it."
But there's another way, and I'll leave you with this.This is what I have found: to let ourselves be seen,deeply seen, vulnerably seen; to love with our whole hearts, even though there's no guarantee --and that's really hard, and I can tell you as a parent, that's excruciatingly difficult -- to practice gratitude and joy in those moments of terror, when we're wondering, "Can I love you this much? Can I believe in this this passionately? Can I be this fierce about this?" just to be able to stop and, instead of catastrophizing what might happen, to say, "I'm just so grateful, because to feel this vulnerable means I'm alive." And the last, which I think is probably the most important, is to believe that we're enough.Because when we work from a place, I believe, that says, "I'm enough," then we stop screaming and start listening, we're kinder and gentler to the people around us, and we're kinder and gentler to ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say? It'd be nice to hear it.